Big Papi and Perez Pacing AL Vote Getters Thus Far
Balloting for the 2016 MLB All-Star Game is in full swing and two familiar faces in David Ortiz and Salvador Perez have sequestered fans hearts for their respective votes. As of June 14th, Salvador Perez had garnered 2,063,459 votes, a country mile ahead of Matt Wieters who is a distant second with 673,822 votes.
“Big Papi” who has committed to retiring at season’s end is having a monstrous season and leads the designated hitter category with 2,015,044 votes. The struggling Kendrys Morales is an undeserving second with 739,284 votes mainly because the Kansas City fan base make it their mission to rock the vote.
Perez was prognosticated as a 1/10 favourite while Ortiz was tabbed at 1/9 to start the mid-summer classic. The perennial All-Star Mike Trout is ranked 1/20 to see his name scribbled on the starting lineup at Petco Park.
Both Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas have received over 800,000 votes and both are shelved with serious injuries. No surprise seeing Morales and his .205 batting average has swept up over 700,000 votes thus far. Hell, Paulo Orlando of the Royals has only played 41 games and registered a nauseating 663,255 votes.
Check out the entire list below and keep voting.
AMERICAN LEAGUE ALL-STAR BALLOTING LEADERS
1. Mike Trout, Angels: 1,812,731
2. Jackie Bradley Jr., Red Sox: 1,322,929
3. Lorenzo Cain, Royals: 1,146,885
4. Mark Trumbo, Orioles: 1,110,720
5. Mookie Betts, Red Sox: 1,069,912
6. Jose Bautista, Blue Jays: 956,160
7. Alex Gordon, Royals: 807,469
8. Paulo Orlando, Royals: 663,255
9. Carlos Beltran, Yankees: 463,504
10. Adam Jones, Orioles: 419,313
11. Ian Desmond, Rangers: 414,031
12. Kevin Pillar, Blue Jays: 404,089
13. Melky Cabrera, White Sox: 369,194
14. Michael Saunders, Blue Jays: 340,672
15. Brock Holt, Red Sox: 298,652